Saturday, May 21, 2011

Last Dance

When my husband and I moved here in July of 2007 I wondered what I could do to pass the time. I have been dancing since the age of three and had many amazing opportunities, ranging from performing on cruise ships to dancing for Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger at his inauguration. Dance is a huge part of who I am and my life. I love all of the dance shows on tv and it amazes me that the greatset dancers are so young. So! When we came to TX my mom found a dance studio...I was shocked that there was a dance studio in this tiny town. I immediately called the owner and told her that we would be living in TX for a year (which turned into 4) and I wanted to teach. She said how excited she was that I called because she just had a dace teacher that moved, within the week I was hired. My first thought about the studio was that it was small and a little older then what I was used to but it didn't matter. I still remember the first thing my boss said to me when I walked through the door "you're so young!" indeed I was, but I was ready to teach young dancers and to show them my passion for dance. My first year at the studio wasn't great. The kids had ZERO discipline (which was something I wasn't used to) and many of them didn't want to be there. I had a lot of work ahead of me to teach the kids the way I was taught. Of course parents didn't like how structured my classes were and the students were having a hard time with the discipline, but over the past 4 years the parents got used to it and the dancers were able to have fun but they knew the boundaries. At times I wasn't sure if I could continue but I stuck with it and it all paid off. I have the most amazing boss, she gave me wonderful teaching schedules and allowed me to bring my son with me after he was born. I taught with inspiring teachers that I will truly miss. At times the kids and job drove me crazy and the parents made me want to pull out my hair but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I've loved my time as a teacher in TX and I'm going to miss the highs and lows of being a dance teacher. At our last class I had one of my kindergarten students come up to me and said she wanted to be a dance teacher just like me, it brought a smile to my face and I remembered how rewarding my job was. So this is my last dance in TX and I'm going to miss everything and everyone! Good luck at the recital tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kenni - I hope that we live closer to each other someday! I just know I would enjoy spending time with you. I loved my dance teachers in the 7 years I did dance, and I think it is great that you stuck with it even if it was not the environment you were used to. I think your ability to adapt but still be yourself is awesome! Best wishes on your next adventure, and give Jerad my love!

    ReplyDelete