Friday, May 6, 2011

Military Spouse Appreciation

Today is military spouse appreciation day, to be honest I had no clue! Thank goodness for my friends on FB to let me know. Throughout today I was thinking what this day meant to me. I'm sure there are military spouses out there thinking "finally a day to recognize us!" it is nice to be recognized but we not only need to appreciate or fellow non-military spouses, but our spouses who are in the military. As non-military spouses it can be difficult at times when our significant other is working late, training, or deployed. As a spouse we tend to put our lives on hold for our spouses career, I'm guilty of it. I'm guilty of feeling angry at times when I feel things in the military aren't fair, when my hardwork as mom and spouse goes unnoticed, or when my husband comes home tired from a long day of work and all he wants to do is zone out and barely says a word to me, but I've learned that things aren't always going to be fair and when my husband is tired I do my best to make sure everything at home is taken care of so we have time together. It is tiring some days, now with a child I feel like I have twice the work and less time to myself and to my husband. I've read a couple blogs where some of my friends wrote about spouses appreciation day and it's interesting to see how many point of views there are out there. Some write about the exciting points about being a military spouse and others write about the highs and lows others strongly feel that today is the day for the non-military spouse. I feel it is a day for our service members and their spouses.

Before I met my husband I would look at the yellow ribbon magnants on the back of cars a not understand it's meaning or see an American flag waving in someone's front yard and have no thoughts about what it stood for. Now when I see those things I smile. It's nice to know there are people out there who support our military. I'm very proud about what our troops have accomplished and I stick up for them when others try to bring them down, our spouses work hard everyday. So appreciate your friends who are spouses but don't forget the spouses that serve in the military. It's called military spouse appreciation day not non-military spouse appreciation day.

No comments:

Post a Comment