Saturday, December 4, 2010

Change

On September 20 at 5:59am, a date and time that will forever be engraved into my head, my husband and my life changed. Our beautiful son was born!

When I was pregnant I read every book, went to every class, and researched everything so I could be well prepared for our little ones arrival. After he made his debut I had no idea what I was in for, the good and bad. The night we brought him home was chaotic as we didn't know what he wanted and had to learn his hunger and tired cues. Soon we were able to figure out what he wanted before he had a big meltdown. When you have a baby you imagine a healthy happy baby and don't prepare yourself for bumps in the road.

When our little nugget was 2 months I noticed that he wasn't able to turn his head to left but could turn his head to the right without a problem. So being the new mom I am I posted a question on a website (which has been my baby bible) and sat anxiously for responses. Soon I had moms from all over answering my question and the first three responses brought up the muscular problem called torticollis. Torticollis is when the muscle that goes up the back to the neck is either short or tight, it doesn't sound like a major problem but to a new mom any minor problem is major. So my husband and I went to his pediatrician and told her his symptoms and she diagnosed him with torticollis. So! With our diagnosis I searched the Internet for more information but always found the same things. We stretch his neck 3 times a day, 15 times each, and hold each stretch for 10 seconds, at the beginning it was very overwhelming as he would scream every time we do his stretches and tummy time. I know I'm very lucky that I have a child that doesn't have any major medical problems and my heart goes out to all the families dealing with harder things then me. So now that we have a diagnosis we start physical therapy next week and we're hoping that physical therapy will be the only thing he needs.

*A big thank you to everyone who has been there when I've felt overwhelmed and needed to vent.

No comments:

Post a Comment